From Audrey Hebpurn or Grace Kelly, to medieval kings. From a desire to beautify the body to a symbol of fertility or a symbol of abundance. Jewellery has adorned leaders, public figures and those who appreciate timeless beauty. This desire to beautify the body has been a constant throughout human history, and the tradition of wearing jewellery, enriched with precious metals, stones and pearls, is simply an integral part of life.
In the 19th century, owning genuine pearls was a privilege reserved for the rich and powerful. The rarity and value of a pearl extracted from an oyster made it an object of desire. In those days, jewellery was not only limited to necklaces, bracelets and rings, but was woven into the hair, sewn into garments and used in more varied ways than today, from hats to buttons.
In the Middle Ages, jewels, including pearls, were revered as objects of adornment in magnificent ensembles worn by royalty. From relics to royal chests, everything that was to stand out in spiritual value, social prestige or aesthetic appeal was made of precious metals, and pearls were among them.
Mallorcan pearls continue this rich tradition, bringing centuries-old elegance to the heart of the Mediterranean. Refined craftsmanship and exceptional quality make these pearls a coveted choice. Explore our collection and discover the enduring beauty of Majorcan pearls, where distinction and tradition are found in every piece of jewellery.
Mallorca pearls and their tradition
As the cost of pearls became prohibitive, the search for affordable alternatives came to the fore. In the 17th century, a Parisian fashion house specialising in accessories discovered that the viscous material of fish scales could be used to coat crystals, giving them a lustre that rivalled pearl jewellery. This discovery was a milestone in the world of jewellery.
In the 19th century, the Japanese introduced culturally imitative jewellery, a breakthrough that would open the door to more accessible fine jewellery. However, the great leap into affordable pearls occurred about a century ago, generating rapid demand in major European capitals.
Eduard Hugo Heusch, a German engineer who had emigrated to France, played a crucial role in this process. Working in Paris in the manufacture of artificial pearls, he founded a company which he later moved to Manacor, Mallorca, for the production of his renowned "Majórica" pearls.
The decision to relocate was strategically driven. Beyond the necessity of being close to the sea, Heusch also recognized and sought the skill of the local workers, particularly artisans, opaline blowers, and the dexterity of the hands of women responsible for adorning necklaces. This move to our island marks a significant milestone in the history of our company. It signaled the beginning of the production of what he termed the 'Majórica' pearl, establishing the business while simultaneously solidifying the connection between our island and artificial pearl manufacturing.
Currently, Mallorca is one of the main cities in the south of Europe recognized for crafting and making this jewelry with this amazing product which is the pearl.
Caring for Pearls: Tips to Preserve Their Natural Beauty
Pearls, known for their timeless elegance and subtle luster, are unique gems that require special care to maintain their beauty over time. Whether you own an inherited pearl necklace or exquisite cultured pearls, following certain steps for their care will ensure these radiant jewels remain in their best condition. Here are some essential tips for caring for your pearls and preserving their natural glow.
1. Avoid Contact with Harsh Substances:
- Pearls are sensitive to chemicals such as perfumes, lotions, and hair sprays. Avoid applying these products directly to your pearls as they can damage their luster.
- Likewise, avoid contact with household cleaning products, as harsh chemicals can erode the surface of pearls.
2. Proper Storage:
- Store your pearls separately from other jewelry to prevent scratches and abrasions.
- Use a velvet bag or padded case to store your pearls when not in use. This will protect the pearls from potential damage caused by friction or impacts.
3. Clean with Care:
- Clean your pearls regularly with a soft, damp cloth to remove accumulated dust and residues.
- Avoid using hard brushes or abrasive sponges as they may scratch the surface of the pearls.
4. Silk Thread and Knots Between Pearls:
- Pearls are threaded with silk, which can weaken over time due to exposure to chemicals and wear.
- Ensure your pearls are threaded with a knot between each one. This prevents all the pearls from sliding in case the thread breaks.
5. Handle with Care:
- Put on your pearls after applying makeup and perfume to prevent direct contact with these products.
- Remove your pearls before engaging in activities that may expose them to impacts, such as sports or intense household activities.
6. Professional Maintenance:
- If your pearls require a deeper cleaning, it is advisable to take them to a professional jeweler. Avoid steam cleaning, as excessive heat can damage pearls.
7. Regular Inspection:
- Examine your pearls regularly for any signs of wear, such as loss of luster or changes in color. If you notice any issues, consult a jeweler for advice and possible repairs.
Where to buy pearls
On our website, you will discover an exquisite selection of pearls and Majorcan pearls that capture the essence of timeless elegance. Each carefully curated piece of jewellery in our collection reflects the master craftsmanship and attention to detail that sets Nelissima apart.
Explore the diversity of styles, from classic pearls to dazzling Mallorcan creations, all available with just a few clicks. Browse our categories, find the piece that resonates with your style and purchase a piece of jewellery that will not only complement your beauty, but also tell a unique story.
Backed by our experience and dedication to quality, every purchase from our online shop is an exclusive experience. We invite you to immerse yourself in the unparalleled beauty of our pearls and Majorcan pearls, and discover the true jewellery that speaks to your heart.
Welcome to elegance without limits, welcome to Nelissima.